Read more at http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz2rHsYIQEN

Monday, June 25, 2012

Chicken Flautas

I'm back! I've got a new recipe planned every day 'til Friday. I should have several new posts this week for you! On the menu tonight was Mexican food. I can never serve Nate enough Mexican food. I saw this idea a few weeks ago over at Lindsay's Menu and I've been thinking about them ever since. One of Nate's favorite dinners is taquitos, and these are very similar, these flautas are pan fried where my taquitos are baked. Enjoy!


Yields 14 flautas.

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded*
2 jalapenos
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used monterey jack)
14 small flour tortillas (I used fajita size, but next time I want smaller tortillas)
salt and pepper
vegetable oil
toothpicks
toppings/garnishes like salsa, sour cream, hot sauce, etc.

Preparations:
First you'll need to roast your jalapenos. I didn't want to fire up the grill for 2 jalapenos, so I broiled them instead. Line a baking sheet with a little tin foil and broil your jalapenos for about 2 minutes each side or until skin is charred. Remove from oven and put them in a small ziploc bag. Let them steam in the bag for a few minutes and then remove the charred flesh and then the seed. Finely chop. Add jalapenos, chicken, cheese, and salt and pepper as needed and mix. Warm tortillas so that they are pliable and easier to work with. Scoop some filling onto the bottom third of the tortillas then roll up and seal with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining tortillas. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil. Pan fry the flautas in the hot oil, rotating so that both sides get golden brown and crisp. It took me about 4 minutes per batch. Drain cooked flautas on a paper towel lined baking sheet. Serve hot with your favorite Mexican garnishes.


*This is our favorite Mexican flavored rub to use on chicken.
2 tsp. chile powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Mix all of those really well. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil on chicken breasts and then add some of the seasoning and cook your chicken. I baked mine at 400 degrees for 32 minutes, let rest for 10 minutes then shred.




I shared this recipe over at Chef in Training and Mandy's Recipe Box.

No comments:

Post a Comment