Read more at http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz2rHsYIQEN

Friday, November 9, 2012

Simple Shredded Chicken

I feel like we all have tons of recipes that call for shredded chicken. Whether it's needed for soup, salads, filling for burritos or enchiladas, etc., we all use it. I know that lots of people cook it in the crock pot but some days there isn't always that much time, or we leave dinner to the last minute. I saw this idea over at Mel's Kitchen Cafe, my favorite recipe blog, and it's brilliant. I didn't change a thing It's a great technique for a basic shredded chicken, that can be used in most any dish. Better yet, you've got all these things on hand. So if you're in a bind for shredded chicken, try this out! I'm using this chicken in an Italian dish, I would add some of my favorite Mexican chicken rub if I were using it in a Mexican dish.

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
4 (about 2 pounds) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper (I used Lawry's seasoned salt and seasoned pepper)
3/4 cup water or low-sodium chicken broth (I used broth)

Preparation:
In a large 12-inch nonstick skillet with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium heat until hot and rippling. Pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Place the chicken top-side down in the hot skillet and let the chicken cook for 5 minutes until golden brown on top. Flip the chicken, add the water or chicken broth, cover the skillet and let the chicken simmer gently over medium heat for 7-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through (it will register 160 degrees on a thermometer). Don’t overcook or it might be dry. While the chicken is simmering, add additional water 1/4 cup at a time if the liquid evaporates too quickly. Remove the chicken from the skillet. Let it cool slightly before shredding. The cooked chicken will keep well-covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or can be frozen for up to 2 months. Makes 3-4 cups of cooked, shredded chicken.


No comments:

Post a Comment