Read more at http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz2rHsYIQEN

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Potato Soup

Oh my gosh, potato soup is one of my absolute favorite things. My Grandma Olson (my mom's mom) is the best cook. I love her potato soup. For some reason I don't have her recipe so I experimented a little bit with a recipe from Kuki's Kookbook and here is what I came up with.

Ingredients:
6 medium russet potatoes
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup bacon or ham, cooked (optional)
3 tsp. Lawry's seasoning salt (Nate likes things really salty, so you may not need this much, it also turns you soup to an off white color, so if you want it white, just add regular salt)
1/2 tsp. celery salt
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 cup heavy cream
2 1/2 cups hot milk


Preparation
Wash and peel potatoes. Cut them into pieces. Boil until fork tender, I always add a little salt to my water when I boil potatoes. In a large pot, saute onions in the butter until they are translucent. Add seasoning salt, freshly ground pepper, and celery salt to the onions, combining them thoroughly. In a separate pot, heat milk until hot. Add the boiled potatoes to the onion mixture. Stir in heavy cream and the hot milk. Once combined, add frozen corn and ham (if you want ham). You don't need to defrost or cook the corn, it will cook in the soup. After everything is added bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring often. Don't turn down your heat, I made that mistake and my soup didn't thicken. Mix in cooked and crumbled bacon just before serving. Serve immediately! I think it keeps well and that the leftovers are really good.




Click to enlarge the recipe card. Once enlarged, right-click to save.

No comments:

Post a Comment